Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rose Colored Glasses

Hyrum went to 'help' his dad at work one Saturday.  Left at home with the rest of the kids and a neighbor to play with, this is what I saw looking across from my kitchen:
All four girls (Katie's in the high chair in the background) are in PINK!  There's a pile of pink baby clothes on the table in the back, a pink carseat on the floor, and all sorts of other pink baby accessories lying around. 
And, then, even when Hyrum is home, he prefers a rosy red over a cool blue that would offset all this pink. 


Since then, the term "Rose Colored Glasses" has run through my brain and I've thought about these kids with whom I've been entrusted.  I've never considered myself to be a very kid-oriented kind of person.  I was never one to love babysitting when I was younger.  I didn't want to hold every baby that entered a Young Women's classroom at church.  While I don't think the words have ever come out of my mouth, I might have to admit to thinking the words "grow up" on occasion.  Becoming an Elementary School teacher may very well be one of the most repulsive and self destructive ideas I could have (which only makes me appreciate my kids' teachers even more for their stamina).  I feel like I've always been the mom to drop the kids off at the babysitters/dance class/school/play date as early as I could get away with and pick them up equally late. 
With this perception of myself, I have to wonder at the "ME" who has been molded and lives in my life now.  Among other experiences that have brought me back to these ponderings, yesterday our house hosted a birthday party for Hyrum.  His attending friends numbered in the teens. 

And I remained calm.

And I felt unflustered.

And, given a freeze frame picture of me, one would never have guessed I was in the company of a dozen six year olds in addition to my own rambunctious clan.

And I find myself knowing who these kids are, rather than seeing them only as potential adults.


AND I LIKE THEM.


I'm left now, in awe, grateful at the Master's hand who's been gradually changing out the lenses in my mortal glasses to see more clearly the tender and precious colors of these Spirits. 

Let me be the first to point out that I don't always remember to put my glasses on.  And parenting always has new challenges that continually teach me more.  But, if I were living in my shoes with the same lenses I wore seven and a half years ago, on the first day I became responsible for teaching one of His children everything I know...  Well, lets just say things wouldn't look so rosy.


2 comments:

McShane Family said...

You survived! What a great mom you are to allow that many kids at a birthday party! I would need staff on hand (it's nice having Riley and Natalie a little older and they really enjoy helping with things like that).

Jay said...

You sound like Mom.