Thursday, February 11, 2010

Middle Child

My sweet Lizzie, I'm watching you change before my eyes.  Your family is turning you into a "Middle Child."  Since you so excitedly became a big sister,  you've had to learn to wait your turn for Mommy's attention while Katie gets first dibs.  Hyrum's finally learned to value the company of his big sister, at your expense.  JoAnna and Hyrum have to be helped with homework.  We all listen while they both practice their reading.  You're big enough to want to do it all yourself, but little enough that it doesn't always work out.  You're big enough to put on your own slip on shoes, but little enough that you still want Mommy to go with you.  And, often you find her busy and you're stuck waiting your turn again.
                                           
Lizzie, my sweet, bright, happy Lizzie.  I miss you!  I still want to be ready to hold your hand when you want me.  I still want to wait patiently for you while you practice your independence. 

I feel so sad when you shout out, "NO!" and I know you really mean, "Mommy, why don't you come so we can do this task together anymore?"  I don't want to put a movie on to babysit you, but sometimes it's the only way you don't feel left alone without me to play with you.  I want to hold you more.  I want to give you more hugs.  But often my arms or hands are full.   I don't want to do anything to hurt your bright optimism and cheerfulness.  And yet, when I see in your eyes that you're feeling hurt, insecure and alone, it's my actions that have made you feel that way.
You're a gentle and loving big sister, as I knew you would be.  But I want you to still have the chance to be a little sister, too.  We'll have to keep working together to find the right balance.  But, don't grow up feeling invisible.  Don't let me look past you, or blame you.  And don't lose the innate happiness that has always shone from you.  I love you, my "middle child." 

4 comments:

Cecily said...

I've told Tommy several times that whoever is the third child in our family will be treated VERY well. :)

But I need to get through the first two first. At this point, it looks like I may never be capable of handling them.

Cecily said...

By the way, I LOVE that picture of Lizzy wearing her backpack!!

McShane Family said...

I'm afraid Natalie and Emily may feel this way too. They are both so independent that I often forget that I haven't given them the attention they so very much need. You write very well and with great feeling. Thanks for putting words to my concerns as well.

Jay said...

Yeah, the backpack picture's awesome (awesome in the Lizzie sense). That's my extreme smile style niece for you.