Friday, May 13, 2011

It's About Time

Katie guzzled half a sippy cup of chocolate milk for lunch today.  Then she asked for more.  Trust me - it's a big deal.

UPDATED:

Looking back on past posts, I think this one needs some more explanation.  At the point when this was originally posted, Katie was 17 months old.  In all of those 17 months, Katie refused to partake of any milk other than mine from me.  She would not drink my milk from a bottle.  She would not take formula in a bottle, or in the sippy cup she liked just fine with water or juice in it.  She would eat cheese and yogurt, but though I started trying as soon as she turned one, she would NOT drink milk from any form of cup.  I had tried chocolate milk.  I had tried strawberry milk, both to no avail.  She wasn't buyin'. 

She also would not be consoled without nursing.  She would not take a pacifier of any kind.  I was it.  For 17 months (19, actually, by the time she was fully weaned).  Once I left her in my SIL's capable hands while I took Jo and Hyrum somewhere.  She cried for three hours straight and stubbornly refused to drink the bottle.  She was only a few months old at the time, but her preference was already determined.  On this glorious day in May, magic happened that changed my life at the time. 

Funny development:  Recently, Katie has come up with new ways to convince me to give her what she wants.  One consistent request is the chocolate milk that took us so long to get her to even try.  Her method of persuasion is to say, "I need milk to feel me better."  (Insert pathetic sad-face)  I guess the emotional link is set....

1 comments:

Cecily said...

Well, here's to chocolate milk then! Yay for Katie!