Thursday, April 21, 2011

True Confessions

This morning started as behind as every morning has for the past three weeks.  That's not to say that anyone was late to get to school or that any morning rituals were foregone, but rather that the to-do list is just as long or longer as the previous morning with no foreseeable end.  As soon as JoAnna and Hyrum were out the door, I had to rush to burn a CD for JoAnna.  She signed up to be in the school talent show which started only a half an hour into the school day today.  Once there I realized that parents and students were already gathering to witness the exciting event.  I knew Jo would like it if I stayed, but I really hadn't planned to and wasn't equipped to deal with Lizzie and Katie for that long.  Feeling like something in my life had to be eliminated, I found Jo, kissed her good luck and told her I had to be on my way.

I was on my way down the hall toward the exit when I saw JoAnna's teacher heading my way.  This year I was selected to be the room mom for JoAnna's class.  Let's just say, I've done a horrible job. I'm not sure I've arranged even a handful of volunteers all year.  For several months I've been kind of avoiding Jo's teacher for fear she'll ask about the situation.  This time, my face must've registered my feelings, because she asked, "Long morning?  You look tired."

I had to confess, "No, I just feel guilty every time I see you because I haven't done my job this year."

With a relieved laugh, she returned the confession, "I've been avoiding you because I kept hoping you wouldn't get a schedule together!  I've been so busy trying to keep up with the regular school work, I've dreaded coming up with something for volunteers to do when they come!"

We talked for a few more minutes about the art of learning to say "No" and how to be okay letting things go.  Then we parted ways, both with an extra lift in our step because we'd both eliminated a responsibility and the guilt for falling short.

Whew.

0 comments: