I got in an accident today. But that's not the beginning of the story. The beginning of the story is that Jason hit a deer yesterday. It was early in the morning and still dark outside. By the time he saw it, there was nothing he could have done. Because of this, we had traded cars so I could deal with the run-around of getting the damage assessed and getting it to the body shop, etc. This morning, after all kids were in school, I took the car to the estimator to determine a preliminary amount for the insurance to pay out.
Afterward, I came to pick up Lizzie from school. The timing of Lizzie's school meant I would not be able to drop the car off to the body shop until after their lunch break. To kill some time, I thought we'd do a couple of things I've been meaning to do, but I'm not usually in the right area of town. One such activity was to cash in coupons for a free kids meal at Chick-fil-a. Lizzie had earned hers when she was brave through her first cavity filling. The dental assistant was nice and gave Katie one, too for enduring the waiting room, I guess. The Chick-fil-a it applied to was in the mall food court, so that's where we went.
Though neither of the girls had eaten much this morning, both only picked at their food. As a result, we packed up quite a bit of chicken nuggets and waffle fries and took them with us It was nearing the end of the body shop's lunch break, but I would still have time for the second stop I had planned to make before they would open again. As I weaved my way out of the parking lot and mall complex, I saw a couple of people holding cardboard signs asking for help. I've learned this is not uncommon in this particular area and I'm not generally inclined to stop and pull over to offer assistance, especially with my young children in tow. In fact, on one occasion, I had a clear instinct to protect my children from a woman whom I had no other reason to assume was dangerous. Whatever the case, though, while my heart goes out to them, I usually opt to find other ways to give to those in need without stopping on the street corner with my children to do so.
Today, however, as I passed the second man with a sign, I had the distinct impression that I should give him the leftovers that my girls hadn't eaten. I started to dig through the bag for the leftovers, but I was next to turn before I was able to free them. Not wanting to hold up the car behind me, I went through and thought I could give it to the next person I saw. As I said, it was not uncommon for the area.
At this point, I think, "But what if it was THIS man that needed my help today?" I get the impression to turn around and go back. I think about the scriptures the kids and I have read the past two days where Alma tells the Zoramites, "for after ye have done all these things (repented and prayed continually for your welfare and the welfare of those around you), if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need - I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith." (Alma 34:17-28). The intersection where the man is standing gets smaller behind me as I go with the flow of traffic. I tell myself I'll come back after this quick errand because it will be easier to turn around in the less congested area away from the freeway on/off ramps. The scripture replays through my mind. I think up any scenario I can think of that would make this man leave in the next ten minutes that would make my timing critical, even though it's high traffic time for begging (I'm sure).
I eat one of the fries and keep driving. On the other side of the freeway, I arrive at my next stop that will only require a few minutes to run in and talk to the receptionist. Then I would be done with enough time to go back where the man is standing before to body shop opens again.
I get in an accident as I'm trying to get out of the busy parking lot. By the time the police and the other driver have everything they wanted from me (and more - because I'm sure they didn't want the headache of an accident I'd left them with), I'm nervous about how the car will run enough that I go straight to the body shop two blocks away. After an hour of phone calls and discussion among insurance agents, the estimator from this morning, the auto repairman, and Jason, the car rental rep comes and shuttles me to pick up a car for Jason to use throughout the repair process. Another hour later, I drive away in the rental back to the man on the corner.
But I should have just given the guy the cold leftover fries and chicken nuggets in the first place. The timing of the afternoon may have played out completely differently. I may not have anyone frustrated with me for inconveniencing their day. I may have saved a lot of money on a collision deductible. But most importantly, the Lord would know that I listen the first time. For my sake or someone else's. No questions asked.
Good thing there's tomorrow.
Allergy Shots
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment